Bitumen Rheology - An online workshop on the basic and advanced test methods with a live demo from the lab
We cordially invite you to join us for this online workshop along with live testing session from our lab with our #OnlineTrainer Dr. Sumanta Raha, Lead Rheologist, along with our Application Specialists, Dr. Sumit Singh and Mr. Mayank Varshney.
As per the recent BIS norms, the application of Rheology into Bitumen and Polymer Modified Bitumen (PMB) binder testing will also require Dynamic Shear Rheometer (DSR) measurements. The growing demands in asphalt and bitumen binder testing for performance grading, verification and rutting analysis will require better skilled Rheometer operators with thorough understanding of the testing protocols. In response to this increased demand, we have come up with this online workshop which will be beneficial for government and private agencies, contractor, bitumen suppliers, modifiers, researchers, polymer suppliers, consultants, researchers, academicians working in area of road construction, design and quality control.
14:00 - 14:05 Welcome address
14:05 - 15:00 Rheology of Viscoelastic Materials - a general overview
- Definition of the terms: shear stress / shear rate / shear viscosity
- Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, viscous and viscoelastic materials
- Dynamic shear measurement techniques
- Stress relaxation & Creep recovery
- Amplitude sweep test & Frequency sweep test
- Temperature dependence
15:00 - 15:30 SmartPave Dynamic Shear Rheometer
- SmartPave Technology
- SmartPave 92 & 102e Specifications
- DSR Testing Accessories and Geometries
- Temperature Calibration
- RheoCompass Software & Asphalt Measurement Templates
15:30 - 16:15 Bitumen Testing Fundamentals
- Introduction to Bitumen: Uses, sources, grades and occurrence
- Factors affecting the pavements field service performance
- Bitumen modification:
• Polymer Modified Bitumen (PMB)
• Ground Tyre Rubber Modified Bitumen (GTR MB)
• Waste Plastic Modified bitumen
- Rheological behavior of bitumen and modified bitumen
- Asphalt Performance Grading (AASHTO T315, T316), MSCR Test (AASHTO T350),
AASTHO TP 101-14 and IS-15462
- Emerging Test Methods & Future Advance Applications
16:15 - 17:30 Live from the Lab
- Bitumen Testing
- Sample preparation (using silicone molds, loading, trimming, temperature equilibrium,
- Bitumen properties as a function of temperature
- Performance grading (PG verification)
- Multi Stress Creep Recovery (MSCR) test
- Linear Amplitude Sweep (LAS) test
Trainer: Dr. Sumanta Raha, Mr. Mayank Varshney
Dr. Sumanta Raha is a veteran in the field of Rheology and Material Science. He completed his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia on “ Rheological Behaviour of Polymer Blends with Co-continuous Nano-structure”. After which, he has contributed back to his field by submitting several journal and conference papers. It is a measure of his expertise that has also created an android mobile app - “Rheology App” which contains information related to Rheology and its applications. Dr. Raha is working as the Lead Rheologist at Anton Paar India presently.
Get free access now!
Simply fill out the form below to receive free access to tools and restricted content.