SPECIFIC SOLUTIONS TO SUPPORT YOU IN YOUR DAILY WORK
Lubricant testing at refineries
Measuring the density and viscosity of highly viscous samples
Filling your density meter or viscometer properly can be challenging when it comes to heavy samples as they require heating. Anton Paar offers heated sample changers which minimize the operator’s contact with hot substances and contribute to your lab’s safety and productivity. Even if tempering is not necessary to be compliant, heating samples makes filling quicker and easier and increases your throughput per day.
Automating measurements and data transfer to increase your productivity
Automating measurements is the quickest way to become more efficient and sustainable in your laboratory. By automating the filling and cleaning steps you remove the risk of handling errors, reduce the required volume of cleaning agent, and greatly improve the repeatability of your analysis. Reusing your consumables greatly benefits the environment and your budget. Anton Paar’s viscometers and density meters, for example, can be automated for continuous measurement of up to 71 samples, including fuel samples that require heating before measurement.
To increase productivity further, Anton Paar’s lab execution software communicates with your LIMS and automates your data flow (collecting, storing, representing, and transferring the measurement results), contributing to the paperless lab.
Determining the shear viscosity of lubricating greases
During the quality control of greases, the shear stability is one of the key parameters. Anton Paar's rheometers provide a powerful solution for rapid and highly accurate tests according to the relevant standards. The intuitive software with predefined test programs greatly reduces the amount of operator time required and enables convenient data management.
Optimizing sample preparation (digestion) for elemental analysis (ICP)
Before analysis with ICP units, e.g. to measure the exact concentration of elements like Ni, V, Si, Na, or Al in petroleum samples, a good sample preparation is key but can often keep you waiting. Microwave-assisted digestion considerably reduces the time needed to prepare your petroleum samples for ICP analysis. Anton Paar’s digestion devices provide:
- Huge time-savings compared to conventional preparation methods
- Built-in safety features to protect your staff and facility
- Menu-guided operation so personnel need only basic training
- The option to digest many different samples in one run
Complete digestion of samples is essential when investigating corrosion problems, deactivation of catalysts, or abrasion within the combustion engine and when monitoring elemental impurities.
Characterizing new blends and environmentally acceptable lubricants
Whenever new lubricants need to be characterized, the modular concept of Anton Paar’s portfolio of measuring instruments allows the simultaneous determination of various physical properties at the same time and under the same conditions. Only small sample volumes of a few mL are required to determine parameters such as viscosity and viscosity index, density, flash point, distillation, oxidation stability, and more. Measuring modules can be combined to create a system that is operated via only one user interface and, thanks to state-of-the-art Peltier technology, measurement at different temperatures is highly convenient.
Determining the cloud and pour point of incoming crude oil
Incoming crude oil needs to flow well at all times, even at low temperatures. Cloud and pour point of crude oil can be assessed using Anton Paar rheometers and viscometers. The results tell about the crude’s flow behavior and how the concentration of pour point depressants affects the flow. Even slight changes in the concentration of these additives have a significant influence on the flow so the analysis from a rheometer can be used to find the ideal concentration of depressants to keep crude oil moving.
Obtaining the correct distillation cuts during crude oil distillation
When separating the crude oil into its constituent parts based on the different temperatures at which they evaporate and condense during refining, 1 °C can make a substantial financial difference. To make sure you take the right distillation cuts from a distillation tower, you need to know the boiling range of the product very well. You can gain this knowledge by simulating the distillation in the lab. Anton Paar’s distillation analyzer:
- Gets you the results fast – so you lose the minimum time finding the optimal cut point temperatures.
- Delivers the exact temperature at a resolution of 0.1 °C
- Provides a volume resolution of only 0.01 mL
- Guarantees maximum safety and optimized output of your crude oil
Determining the low-temperature, low-shear-rate viscosity of lubricants
The low-temperature viscosity of hydraulic fluids such as automatic transmission fluids, gear oils, and other lubricants is important for the proper operation of mechanical devices. Anton Paar’s rotational viscometers allow you to analyze an oil’s lubrication behavior to guarantee proper operation of mechanical devices at low temperatures. Fully automatic measurement methods according to common standards are implemented in the software of the viscometers. Thanks to a powerful air-cooled Peltier temperature device the measurement is fast, accurate, and reliable. You do not need a PC as the temperature device is directly controlled by the viscometer for the greatest ease of use.
Certifying lubricants and novel formulations according to relevant standards
To ensure that your intermediate and final products fulfill the specifications at defined process steps, Anton Paar devices are available to help you:
- Save time when determining the viscosity and viscosity index of your products. Our SVM viscometer covers the whole viscosity range so you can measure everything from base oils to blends and additives with one instrument and save huge amounts of solvent and sample (only min. 2.5 mL required), all while providing the fastest viscosity index measurement on the market.
- Obtain official certification for all your products via density measurement on small sample volumes of only 1 mL and at the highest accuracy and the appropriate measuring temperature for any type of sample.
- Measure the flash point safely on a device with almost zero maintenance requirements.
- Characterize the oxidation stability with maximum efficiency and analyze the distillation of different ASTM D86 distillation groups.
- Measure the refractive index to meet quality control requirements and get more insight into your samples' properties (e.g. carbon-type composition or carbon distribution).
Lubricant testing for consumers
Ensuring reliable operation by oil-condition monitoring (OCM)
Knowing the right time for an oil change not only saves costs but also saves your equipment from damage and avoids unnecessary downtime. One of the key parameters for an oil’s condition are the viscosities at 40 °C and 100 °C. With a viscometer that can perform rapid (and even simultaneous) measurements at these two temperatures and automatically calculate the viscosity index, you can quickly receive all the parameters to know exactly when the time to change your lubricant has arrived.
Automated filling and cleaning of the viscometer means you can increase your productivity, reduce handling errors, and free the operator to perform other important tasks.
Analyzing the effect of lubrication on wear and friction
By performing a wide variety of tribological tests and simulating friction and wear for your application, the friction coefficient under a specific set of conditions can be determined. This provides insight into the effect of lubrication on friction and wear. Having a rheometer with a highly modular setup which enables the tests to be performed over a large range of deflection angles at different frequencies ensures easy and fast determination of all relevant parameters.
Observing the viscosity-temperature relationship of (used) engine oil
If the viscosity of the oil is too high or it gels after cold temperature starting, the engine can get damaged. Anton Paar’s rotational viscometers fulfill common standards and test methods to analyze the pumpability and gelation index of engine oils using a temperature-scanning technique. Fully automatic test procedures will save you an enormous amount of time. Just start the measurement and then you can take care of other matters. Benefit from the lowest maintenance work and save space in your lab as you do not need a liquid bath.
Lubricant testing at testing laboratories
Automating on a large scale for oil-condition monitoring and the highest throughput
As the ultimate answer to the need for high sample throughput and minimized human interaction, Anton Paar’s automation platform takes care of sample preparation and analytics customized to your requirements, e.g.:
- 6 viscometers with storage units
- Combinations with Anton Paar instruments possible (e.g. density meter, rheometer and robotic arm)
- Integration of third-party devices, including heating ovens, analyzers with flow cells, balances, and more
The automation solution runs the analysis while your lab personnel work on other tasks. Anton Paar’s engineering team customizes the setup to suit your routines.
Ensuring higher productivity and efficient data flow in the lab
In contract laboratories and testing labs, minimizing the time and cost per sample can be achieved by:
- Increasing sample throughput by automating the filling and cleaning process, e.g. by adding a sample changer or heated sample changer to your density meters and viscometers
- Reducing solvent consumption by automating filling, even for single samples
- Employing software for lab execution for seamless data flow to your LIMS and ultimate traceability of results in your paperless lab
Automating sample preparation for more efficient lab processes
Freeing up your lab personnel from repetitive work will increase your sample throughput and reduce the potential for human error. Anton Paar’s automated solution covers sample identification, vial capping, sub-sampling, mixing, and dosing. The system also works at night and on weekends, preparing your samples for downstream analytics in the fastest way possible.
Our engineering team analyzes your workflow and custom-tailors the right setup, including:
- Bi-directional communication with your LIMS
- The combination of work steps you need